Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Corporation (film) Part One

I found the film to be overwhelming. The biggest theme was that corporations have the same rights, under the US Government, as a person. Unlike a typical person, corporations CAN NOT empathize with others. Therefor, the only interest of a corporation is profit. One of the economist interviewed in the film said that the only thing a person in the developing world has to offer is cheap labor. I was baffled by this comment. Any and every person, no mattter if they have no money at all, have intrinsic value. The impoverished people of the third world have plenty to offer, just as much as any other person.
I have observed that real people have begun to take on the "personalities" of corporations. People in my own life display traits of ignorance, profit motivation, and lack of empathy and compassion for others. I worry about how to reverse this trend before it is too late.

1 comment:

  1. Meg, I too take issue with the callous corporate view point of people in the developing world (and the need to find the 'desperate' ones to exploit for labor). The film IS overwhelming, but the good parts are yet to come - I promise. Hold on until next week! :)

    ReplyDelete